There are 24 Assisted Living Facilities in the Wilmington area, with 16 in Wilmington and 8 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Wilmington is $4,634 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,399. Cheaper nearby regions include Hockessin with an average starting cost of $3,395.
To help you with your search, browse the 195 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Wilmington. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Wilmington 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Kennett Square with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 16 families in Wilmington find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Wilmington, call (855) 863-8283.Location
16 Assisted Living Facilities in Wilmington, DE
Provides: Assisted Living2200 West 4th St., Wilmington, DE 19805 25 reviews“My sister seems to be happy here. Food is good (I’ve been here for meals).” MoreThe Lorelton is different than most so we don’t use gimmicks. We keep our rates affordable becaus… (more)Ends in 1968 daysGet PricingSee Details2016, 2020
Provides: Assisted Living1212 Foulk Road, Wilmington, DE 19803 29 reviews“Foulk Manor North was not affordable, but it was nice. The staff was very friendly and very knowledgeable. It’s a nice and well-equipped community. The rooms were clean and sufficient, and the menu…” MoreGet PricingSee Details2014, 2015
Provides: Assisted Living2215 Shipley Road, Wilmington, DE 19803 18 reviews“My tour of Sunrise Senior Living of Wilmington was lovely. The woman who did the tour was very thorough, very friendly, and introduced me to the activities director. They had an entertainment area….” MoreGet PricingSee Details2015, 2017
Provides: Assisted Living1605 N. Broom Street, Wilmington, DE 19806 21 reviews“Ingleside Homes was very nice with nice apartments. The staff was very good. They have a lot of activities at this facility. The only thing I don’t like about this place is it is kind of old. ” MoreGet PricingSee Details
Provides: Assisted Living2210 Swiss Lane, Wilmington, DE 19810 5 reviews“The rooms were small in Ivy Gables. However, it was decorated beautifully and clean. I didn’t see a lot of interactions; I only saw six people, and they looked like they had memory issues. They…” MoreGet PricingSee Details
Provides: Assisted Living1420 N. Franklin street, Wilmington, DE 19806 2 reviews“Lutheran Senior Services – Lutheran Towers II’s lobby area is very clean. The staff is very professional and highlighted the programs as far as what they do for the people who are staying there as…” MoreGet PricingSee Details
Provides: Assisted Living1201 N. Harrison Street, Wilmington, DE 19806 4 reviews“Mom liked Lutheran Senior Services – Lutheran Towers 1. They provided food services, trash services, and cable. The room that we saw was in good shape and clean. The staff that gave me the tour was…” MoreGet PricingSee Details
Provides: Assisted Living2004 Shipley Rd, Wilmington, DE 19977″Welcome to HarborChase of Wilmington! Our community offers a fresh, nutritious and constantly evolving menu featuring seasonal ingredients and regional flavors. Our residents enjoy a diverse and…” MoreGet PricingSee Details
Provides: Assisted Living1912 Marsh Road, Wilmington, DE 19810 24 reviews“I liked Forwood Manor a lot, and I’m very positive about it. The rooms were a good size, pretty new, and looked nice. The staff seemed good. They had a library.” MoreGet PricingSee Details2014, 2016
Provides: Assisted Living407 Foulk Road, Wilmington, DE 19803 14 reviews“The rooms at Foulk Manor South were clean and adequate. They had arts and crafts, a lot of outings, music, and entertainment. The staff was very pleasant and greeted and introduced themselves….” MoreGet PricingSee Details
Provides: Assisted Living1519 Rockland Road, Wilmington, DE 19803 7 reviews“Rockland Place was very nice and had therapists who came in from Bayada. The entire place was clean, had an activity calendar, and seemed to be efficiently run. The dining room was set up nicely…” MoreGet PricingSee Details
Provides: Assisted Living810 S Broom St, Wilmington, DE 19805 1 review“Hillside Center was very nice. I liked it very much. I would have taken my mom there. The facility was very clean, the rooms were very nice, spacious and adequate enough. They were very good with…” MoreGet PricingSee Details
Provides: Assisted Living1221 Lodge Lane, Wilmington, DE 19809 8 reviews“Lodge Lane was beautiful, but they did not have independent living. They only had assisted living, which was not what I was looking for. The facility was small, new, friendly, and stellar….” MoreGet PricingSee Details2015
Provides: Assisted Living4830 Kennett Pike, Wilmington, DE 19807 6 reviews“My mother (now 93 years old) has been a resident at the Methodist Country House since 2000. She has lived in Independent Care, Assisted Living, and now Health Center Care. In each of these…” MoreGet PricingSee Details
Provides: Assisted Living2723 Shipley Road, Wilmington, DE 19803 10 reviews“I got a list of assisted living facilities from Caring.com and Shipley Manor was one of them. I visited this place. The room was fine. They did have recreational activities for their residents. I…” MoreGet PricingSee Details
Provides: Assisted Living4800 Lancaster Pike, Wilmington, DE 19807 3 reviews“My father has moved into Madeline Care Center. It’s been a pretty good experience so far. His room was completely flipped. He had fresh paint and brand new laminated flooring, so it’s very nice….” MoreGet PricingSee Details
8 Assisted Living Facilities near Wilmington, DE
Provides: Assisted Living6677 Lancaster Pike, Hockessin, DE 19707 16 reviews“I visited the community the other day since I am looking for a community for my Grandmom. It was a small community with a family like feel. I toured with the sales manager, Lisa. She was very…” MoreGet PricingSee Details
Provides: Assisted Living39 Supawna Road, Pennsville, NJ 08070 3 reviews“I chose to live in Lindsey Place rather than continue living alone in my large House. I find eating in lur dinning facility to be enjoyable. The food is dellicious and if there is something I…” MoreGet PricingSee Details
Provides: Assisted Living315 Merion Avenue, Carneys Point, NJ 08069 4 reviews“My mother-in-law is in Merion Gardens, and we are very happy. Whenever we are there, the staff is very helpful and friendly. The rooms are very nice. The one that she is in right now is very nice…” MoreGet PricingSee Details
Provides: Assisted Living200 Maris Grove Way, Glen Mills, PA 19342 25 reviews“The first place we visited was Maris Grove. We loved it and would move in tomorrow! We chose it because it was large, clean, and had everything we would like, except it was too far from our…” MoreGet PricingSee Details2015
Provides: Assisted Living4175 Ogletown Road, Newark, DE 19713 15 reviews“Somerford House and Place of Newark was very nice and very well organized. We liked the setup and the small areas where different people could go. There was one area with a lot of military things,…” MoreGet PricingSee Details2017
Provides: Assisted Living726 Loveville Road, Hockessin, DE 19707 7 reviews“My parents were 92 yrs old when they moved to Cokesbury from out of state, a most difficult time of life to transition. They experienced independent living, assisted living and skilled care. I…” MoreGet PricingSee Details
Provides: Assisted Living5850 Limestone Road, Hockessin, DE 19707 5 reviews“The Summit is new, brighter than other places, and a little more suitable for living. Everything looked OK there. It was favorable and cheery looking. Someone identified themselves and asked if…” MoreGet PricingSee Details
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Wilmington
Seniors make up over 12 percent of the population in Wilmington, Delaware and there’s much for seniors to do this area including museums, galleries, gardens and theatre. The Wilmington area also has 42 assisted living facilities, with 14 in the city and 28 in surrounding areas. The vicinity includes the states of Pennsylvania and New Jersey, but some of the nearby ALFs are located in other Delaware-based towns, like Hockessin and Newark. Assisted living facilities (ALFs) in Delaware are licensed by the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS) to support people with activities of daily living (ADLs) in specialized housing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Wilmington
- Wilmington offers plenty of seasonal variation, with average winter lows in the 20s and summertime highs in the 80s. The annual average temperature is about 55 degrees. Wilmington gets about 43 inches of rain and 19 inches of snow each year.
- The air quality is poorer in Wilmington than the national average. The city ranks 39 out of 100, with 100 being the best. New Castle County received an F for ozone pollution by the American Lung Association, which noted an increased risk to adults 65 and older and to those with respiratory illnesses.
- Wilmington is a high-crime area. Violent crime occurs much more frequently in Wilmington than the state or national average, and property crime is higher than average as well.
- The cost of living is lower in Wilmington than the Delaware or U.S. average, mostly from lower housing prices. Other costs such as utilities, health care and groceries are higher than the national average.
- Although the cost of goods can be higher in Wilmington, the sales tax rate of 0 percent may benefit the personal budget for shopping trips. Conversely, the income tax rate is about 2 percent higher than the U.S. average.
- Wilmington has an array of local community resources for seniors, including the Book Buddy Program, which delivers library materials to assisted living communities throughout the county, senior golf and softball leagues, the New Castle County Art Studio, which offers different types of art classes to people of all ages, and multiple senior centers and 55+ lifestyle centers, which offer wellness programs, dances, exercise classes and educational programs.
Paying for Assisted Living in Wilmington
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Delaware
$4,883.00Newark$4,745.00Hockessin$4,584.00Wilmington$4,422.00West Chester$4,307.00Media$4,000.00US$3,250.00Kennett Square$3,090.00Chester
Assisted Living costs in Wilmington start around $4,584 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Wilmington and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Wilmington
Delaware offers a state Medicaid waiver to help cover the costs of assisted living. People who receive Social Security Income (SSI) may be eligible for a state supplement toward room and board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Delaware page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Delaware page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Wilmington
Wilmington and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Wilmington, please visit our Assisted Living in Delaware page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Wilmington
Wilmington-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Delaware are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Delaware page for more information about these laws.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Wilmington, DEPaying for Assisted Living in Wilmington, DEFree Assisted Living Resources in Wilmington, DEAssisted Living Laws and Regulations in Wilmington, DE
Assisted Living near Wilmington, DE
Other Options in Wilmington, DE
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Wilmington
- Review of Sunrise Senior Living of WilmingtonMy tour of Sunrise Senior Living of Wilmington was lovely. The woman who did the tour was very thorough, very friendly, and introduced me to the activities director. They had an entertainment area…. Read moreJulie
- Review of The LoreltonThe Lorelton was an older and unique building, but it was nice. The rooms were OK. They were comfortable and nice, too. The dining room was very nice. I met their manager. The place was a little da… Read moreSteven
- Review of Madeline Care CenterMy father has moved into Madeline Care Center. It’s been a pretty good experience so far. His room was completely flipped. He had fresh paint and brand new laminated flooring, so it’s very nice. He… Read moreJanine
- 11 Signs It Might Be Time for Assisted LivingThe decision to help an aging adult move out of a current home is a complex one — both emotionally and practically. Above all, you want the person to be safe and well. How can you all feel more co…
- Nursing Home, Assisted Living, or Independent Living?The first step to finding the best senior housing for your loved one is to understand what type of care facility is the best fit. There are six main types of residential elder care options: _[Inde…
- Assisted Living or In-Home Care?
- Assisted Living Checklist: What to Look for, What to Ask
- Cost of Assisted Living
- How to Pay for Assisted LivingAs you’re weighing senior care options for your loved one, cost is likely a top factor. The good news? Depending on what care your loved one needs, assisted living can be much more affordable than …
- How Levels of Care Affect Assisted Living CostIf you’re shopping for assisted living, you’ll need to familiarize yourself with the levels of care, as the monthly rate for assisted living will depend on the level of care that the resident requi…
- Tips on Moving to Assisted Living
Assisted Living near New Castle County, DE
More Options Near Wilmington, DE
- Memory Care in Pikesville, Maryland
- Memory Care in Yardley, Pennsylvania
- In-Home Care in Washington, District of Columbia
- In-Home Care in Rockville, Maryland
- Senior Living in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Senior Care in Washington, District of Columbia
Business owner? Claim your Caring.com ListingWhat to Consider About Assisted Living in Wilmington, DEPaying for Assisted Living in Wilmington, DEFree Assisted Living Resources in Wilmington, DEAssisted Living Laws and Regulations in Wilmington, DE